Sage advice from The Thyme Traveller

Saturday 22 June 2013

Foodies Festival, London Clapham Common, 7-9th June 2013

Upon entry to the recent Foodies Festival, I was in a bit of a grump. My so-called VIP pass transpired to be eligible for redemption at only a small number of restaurant tents. I made a beeline for Jamie Oliver’s Barbecoa, only to be told that, instead of the two-course meal that the pass promised, my ticket was valid at the tent for just £2.50 and I must pay the difference. Apparently, there had been some miscommunication between the organisers and the restaurants. Not a great start.

Image

Doing away with all pretence at frugality, I went ahead and ordered at Barbecoa anyway: a juicy pulled pork roll with a smoky barbeque sauce and a light, fresh coleslaw with red cabbage and spring onions. The sort of sandwich that sets an impossibly high standard for all other sandwiches and makes you look down at your empty plate with nostalgia and longing.


It was on my second trip to the Barbecoa tent (the first sandwich had been shared and I felt it necessary to right that particular wrong) that I met Paul from Donostia Social Club, a Basque-inspired street food van and pop-up restaurant. He was bringing a few of his dishes for the Barbecoa staff to sample. Eying a generous confit duck roll, a shout of: “Where’s that from?” escaped my lips before I even had the chance to contemplate any introductory pleasantries. This was followed by enthusiastic urgings from the Jamie Oliver staff to try DSC’s Iberico pork cheek. The dish in question: succulent pork cheek sourced from Salmanca, Spain, braised in rioja for 12 hours and served with celariac puree and seeded artisan bread.  The dish was so popular that I just caught the last serving of pork and, unfortunately, there was no celeriac puree left. But the pork and bread alone were a delight.


Unlike other street food vans relying on a high turnover and fast-food service, the atmosphere at DSC is relaxed and welcoming. I was encouraged to pull up a pew, sip on a glass of rioja and talk food while they cooked. Chatting about the origins of the restaurant, the enthusiasm of DSC for good produce and Basque cuisine was clear. The quality of the ingredients shone through in the dishes: vegetables are British and organic, the prawns are MSC-approved and duck is free range from northern France. After the farce of the VIP pass, my mood post-DSC was markedly improved! 

On the whole, it was an enjoyable festival. The chef demonstrations were great addition and seeing Mike Brown of Daphne’s whip up a super quick squid ink pasta with a food processor was a bit of a revelation. There were a few samples available throughout, but not as many as I’d hope for in a setting of this sort.  When I asked if I could taste some fudge before buying it, I was told that that particular flavour was ‘not on sample at the moment’, before the vendor turned away from me. In the world of fudge, where treats are purchased by weight, this refusal left a bitter taste.

Image

My recommendations? If you go to another Foodies Festival this summer, certainly don’t bother with the VIP pass; Barbecoa is well worth checking out; and do try to catch Donostia Social Club somewhere near you. It could brighten your mood too.

No comments:

Post a Comment